Everything You Want to Know
A. HOW TO LOAD, CLEAN AND CARE FOR MY FOUNTAIN PEN
Thank you for asking! Regular, proper care of APC writing instruments will ensure many years of flawless service. No special care is needed to protect the finish, which may simply be wiped with a damp cloth. Never use any solvents near the instrument, and try to store the instrument on the provided pen rest when not in use to prevent scratches. Remember, if your fountain pen will be left idle for more than one minute, cap the instrument to avoid troublesome drying of the nib.
What about cleaning the nib of my fountain pen?
We recommend cleaning a fountain pen’s nib with each change of the ink cartridge/converter. To assure smooth and uninterrupted lines from your buttery-smooth nib, never wait longer than every other cartridge/converter change. Be sure to do this over a sink, and make sure that a paper towel, paper cup, and new ink refill are standing by.
- Gently unscrew the pen’s forepart and remove and discard the old ink cartridge. Be very careful not to bend or damage the end of the nib during this process.
- Rinse the nib under a trickle of cool running water until the water runs almost clear of any ink. This may take a minute or two. Sometimes it helps to leave the nib sitting in a cup of water for several hours. Rinse, soak, and repeat this process several times if the pen has not been used for a while.
- Tap out any excess water, and let the nib dry almost completely.
- Look at the ink cartridge to determine which direction to insert it into the nib section. For our short cartridge, you'll notice one end of the cartridge is flat—place this flat section on your work surface. Our large cartridge has both a clear and colored end. Choose the clear end and position it upright.
- Place the fresh nib section above the cartridge and forcefully pierce the cartridge by carefully pushing down. A secure fit is necessary for good ink flow through the feed section to the nib and finally onto the paper. Note: if using a converter instead of a cartridge, rinse out the converter with cool running water and let dry. Place the converter into the nib section, and press it into place. Dip the nib and feed into your ink bottle and twist the converter to draw ink up through the feed and into the clear converter. We usually get it about ¾ full. Wipe off any excess with a paper towel.
- With the pen loaded with ink, in order to start the wicking process, hold the nib against the paper towel and look for ink flow. If ink is not visible immediately, give the ink a minute to work through the feed. Hold the pen upright with the nib down to allow gravity to assist. Touch the paper towel again. If ink still does not appear, gently squeeze the ink cartridge. The converter, if used, can be twisted slightly to push a small amount of ink into the feed.
B. HOW DO I REPLACE MY ROLLING POINT REFILL?
To replace your fountain pen refill see above. To insert a refill into your one piece or two piece pen you simply have to open the pen from the center ring.
For your one piece pen you hold the top of the pen and twist the lower section in a counter-clockwise direction. Take the dry refill out and place the spring onto the new refill. The spring should seat on the front of the refill. Push the bottom half back into the top half and turn clockwise until snug.
To replace your refill in the two piece pen you first remove the cap. Turn the bottom section counterclockwise and unscrew. A spring is seated in the top of the pen’s body. If the spring drops out, simply place it back in and drop the fresh refill in. Place the bottom of your pen into the threaded area and twist until snug.
C. DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR SHIPPING?
We hate paying for shipping just as much as the next savvy online shopper. All APC pens ship free and deliver in the continental US within 2-3 business days.
For delivery by a guaranteed date, 2nd Business Day service may be selected for $19, or Overnight shipping for $30. In most cases, APC ships via USPS; customers must advise in advance if UPS delivery is required.
Warranties may be accessed or service arranged at: repair@AmericanPenCompany.com
D. DOES MY PEN COME WITH A WARRANTY?
Sure does. We think it’s the best around.
LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTY
American Pen Company instruments carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty against any manufacturing defects. Warranties apply only in the US and Canada. We have designed every part of our instruments to truly last more than a lifetime.
Should any part fail due to faulty design or manufacture, return the pen to us, and we will repair the instrument or replace it with a comparable product at our sole discretion. Any damage to APC instruments not due to faulty design or manufacture is not covered by warranty. We will gladly attempt to repair damaged instruments. If the repairs are not covered by our warranty, any parts or service charge will require prior approval and payment.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Warranties may be accessed or service arranged at: repair@AmericanPenCompany.com.
E. HOW WAS MY WRITING INSTRUMENT CREATED?
Our collective years of experience buying, selling, and servicing fine writing instruments have ingrained us an intuitive understanding of the qualities discerning customers seek in a fine pen. APC’s design and engineering standards for use, appearance, and durability were calibrated to exceed even the most demanding of expectations.
The resin was chosen for its superior strength, and then milled to precise specifications. The metal used for the frame is no less than stainless steel. Every pen’s major stress point—the clip—has been designed to take any amount of punishment thrown its way.
The number one breakage point on pens are clips. 99% of pens have a stamped sheet metal clip with nearly zero structural integrity.
Ours is designed and cut from a solid plate of steel to allow for side-to-side as well as lateral forces. The clip design allows for years of abuse.
Knowing that many fountain pen users prize the ability to utilize several different nibs, the forepart of the pen accommodates quick and easy changes to nibs of a variety of sizes. And any threads holding the instrument together are machined to aircraft quality standards, which further strengthens the pen’s overall structure.
G. WHAT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS FOR A REAL PERSON?
We love to hear from our customers! Dial us up at 844.230.0400, Monday through Friday, 9am to 4pm, Mountain Time,
or drop us an email at:
For questions specific to repair, fast-track your message directly to:
H. HOW DOES CUSTOM ENGRAVING WORK?
Personalization of an American Pen Company writing instrument will appear on the plaque of the Beetle Kill Pine pen rest— not on the body of the pen itself.
Gold-trimmed writing instruments are accompanied by a matching gold tone plaque; silver and black chrome-trimmed writing instruments arrive with silver tone plaques. Select the engraving style from the options on the right, and then get creative!
Engrave with names, dates, company logos, project titles, or personal messages to convey a truly unique message. Our customers love signature engraving. Simply supply us with a digital scan or smart phone image of your signature via email and we’ll convert your personal mark onto your Pen Rest's personalization plate.
Send your artwork to: SayHey@AmericanPenCompany.com
For questions about what will fit on the pen rest, give us a call before ordering at 844.230.0400
I. RETURNS AND EXCHANGES
We’d be happy to take any item purchased from American Pen Company for a full refund or exchange within 30 days after the date of shipment. All original packaging and your item must be as new and not showing any signs of wear. There is no need for a prior authorization.
Please be certain to provide an email address and a daytime phone number.
If a refund is requested, please allow a few days for us to process your return and your financial institution to process your funds. Your bank usually takes three to five days.
Direct your inquiry to:
You can ship your item to:
American Pen Company
10881 West Asbury Avenue Suite 105
Lakewood, CO 80227
J. HOW SECURE IS MY TRANSACTION WITH APC?
As secure as digital technology can make it. We purchase secure server encryption so that your information is encrypted on its way to our site.
Then, our system hides your credit card numbers from any eyes while your profile is reviewed. No one here can view your card information.